Wednesday, May 9, 2018

05/09/18 "HONOR TO WHOM HONOR" DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DEVIL

05/09/18 "HONOR TO WHOM HONOR" DOES NOT INCLUDE THE DEVIL

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I told my church that I was going to post this soon. So here goes. I get so tired of hearing people, including well meaning believers, glorify Satan. He does not deserve honor and recognition. But it happens all the time. Let me explain.

I can be talking with someone, maybe even the first time I meet them, and though the conversation does not really call for it the person says,
"There has only been one perfect man, and they crucified him."

I try not to react overtly, but I am telling you, inside I am screaming,
"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?"

Yes, I know what they said, and I agree with the premise, but I am stunned every time I hear it, since it is actually an insult to the salvation of God. We live in a society that feels compelled to tell other people (at least they feel compelled to tell me), that they are not perfect. Even their bumper stickers and T shirts say,
"I am not perfect, just forgiven," (which is not altogether true either, since we are much more than "JUST FORGIVEN").

OH NO! Such a disappointment and shock to my system.

See, the devil has been so successful in getting people to believe that they must sin (even as Christians, contrary to the word of God), that he is now getting people to boast in their sinful condition by denying God the honor and glory He deserves as our Savior.

There are occasions when my conversation or my witnessing addresses the idea of living for God. AND NO, I DON'T INTRODUCE THE WORD "PERFECT" (or perfection), in the conversation. We can be a million miles from that subject, but people want to make it clear that no one is perfect.

Of course, I am grateful for their bold, yet humble (???) declaration. After all, I was standing there thinking that I was in the presence of PERFECTION. Or I was glad that they took the time to remind me that I am not PERFECT, since that thought was beginning to take hold of me.

I mean, REALLY?

It even shows up during ministry moments. A person testifies to the power of God and His deliverance and His transforming grace, then suddenly, as if everyone is thinking that the person is bragging on his own ability to turn from sin, he says, BUT I AM NOT PERFECT.

Or a singer introduces a song that calls us all to a closer walk with God and the singer says,
"I am not saying I am perfect."

WOW, what a disappointment. I thought I had finally met the PERFECT PERSON.

Even preachers feel compelled to announce to the world that they are not PERFECT, as if giving God the glory for saving and sanctifying grace was meant to be a declaration of his own PERFECTION, (or it is as if his parishioners actually thinks he is perfect or claiming to be perfect).

When I am preaching or teaching or witnessing about the enabling power of the Holy Spirit in us, which makes us more than conquerors, and always causes us to triumph, and gives us the victory that overcomes the world and conforms us to the image of Jesus and purifies our hearts even as Christ is pure, THEN the person, with whom I am speaking feels compelled to change the subject from God's saving grace, to Satan's supposed "unbreakable" hold on us.

I don't even know anyone who believes that any of us are absolutely perfect, therefore they do not need to inform us of the OBVIOUS.

Also, they need to pay attention to what the song says, or the testimony says, or the sermon or the lesson says. Giving God praise for victory is not a brag fest on self.

HERE IS THE REAL PROBLEM. Satan wants to harden us to the idea that THERE IS A BIBLICAL PERFECTION OF SURRENDER AND LOVE that God enables us to experience. Satan does not want anyone to believe that total surrender and faithful obedience is possible, therefore he makes us feel like we are bragging on self instead of honoring God. In doing so, we honor Satan, by pointing out that his ability to thwart the message and the salvation of God in us is greater than the power of God to transform us into new creations, who are walking in newness of life, and doing that which is pleasing in the eyes of God.

Another possibility is that such a statement is a warning,
"DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH FROM ME, BECAUSE I AIN'T GONNA CHANGE THAT MUCH."

I think God deserves the glory without giving honorable mention to the enemy of our souls.

12/31/18 LIFT HIS NAME, AVOID THE SHAME